Key Difference – Coronary Artery Disease vs Atherosclerosis
动脉粥样硬化是一个路径ological condition of thearteriesthat is characterized by the buildup of fat deposits inside the arterial wall. When atherosclerosis takes place in the coronary arteries there is an occlusion of the arterial lumen leading to a reduction in the myocardial perfusion which ends up as myocardial ischemia. This condition is identified as the coronary artery disease. Accordingly,atherosclerosis is the pathological event that gives rise to coronary artery disease.这是key differencebetween the coronary artery disease and atherosclerosis.
What is Coronary Artery Disease?
Occlusion of the coronary arteries can happen due to various causes such as atherosclerosis, thromboembolic events, vascular spasms and etc.
- Nonmodifiable risk factors
- Family history
- Modifiable risk factors
The ischemia associated with CAD gives rise to an ischemic pain that is known asangina。通常情况下，有一个中央后胸痛会辐射到下颌或手臂上。这种疼痛具有令人着迷的性质，通常，出汗与恐惧感一起出汗。患者可能患有困难。
- 劳累的心绞痛– this is a constricting discomfort in the front of the chest that is provoked by physical exertion, cold weather or emotional upheavals. The pain is usually relieved within few minutes after taking a break from the event that triggered it.
- Stable Angina– an angina is described as stable angina when there is no change in its frequency, duration or severity
- 不稳定的心绞痛– an angina of recent onset or a deterioration of a previously stable angina is known as unstable agina.
- 难治性心绞痛- 在患有严重冠状动脉疾病的患者中，无法进行血运重建并且患者对医疗治疗的反应不良。
- 变体的心绞痛– an unprovoked angina is known as a variant angina
In addition to angina, there can be other clinical features such as,
Clinical diagnosis is supported by the following investigations
- CT coronary angiography
- Stress echocardiography
动脉粥样硬化是一个路径ological condition of the arteries that is characterized by the buildup of fat deposits inside the arterial wall.
There are different factors and comorbidities that contribute to the development of atherosclerosis. These contributory factors can be basically divided into two categories as modifiable factors and nonmodifiable factors.
- Cigarette smoking
- Family history
Pathogenesis of Atherosclerosis
“Response to injury” is the most widely accepted hypothesis that explains the pathogenesis of this condition by integrating the aforementioned risk factors with the pathological events taking place in the arterial wall. This hypothesis suggests a seven-step mechanism for the development of an atheroma.
- Endothelial injury and dysfunction which increase the vascular permeability, leukocyte adhesion and the likelihood ofthrombosis。
- Accumulation of lipids inside the vessel wall.低密度脂蛋白它的氧化形式是大量积累的脂肪类型。
- 单核细胞粘附的endothelium。These monocytes then migrate into the intima and transform into foam cells or macrophages.
- Platelet adhesion
The two hallmark morphological features of atherosclerosis are the presence of fatty streaks and atheromas.
Atherosclerosis mainly affects large arteries such as the aorta and medium-sized arteries like the coronary arteries. Although it is possible for this pathological process to happen anywhere in the body, a person becomes symptomatic only when atherosclerosis damages the arteries supplying the heart, brain and the lower extremities. Therefore, the major complications of atherosclerosis are,
What is the Difference Between Coronary Artery Disease and Atherosclerosis?
Coronary Artery Disease vs Atherosclerosis
|动脉粥样硬化是一个路径ological condition of the arteries that is characterized by the buildup of fat deposits inside the arterial wall.
Summary –Coronary Artery Disease vs Atherosclerosis
Download the PDF Version of Coronary Artery Disease vs Atherosclerosis
1. Kumar, Parveen J., and Michael L. Clark. Kumar & Clark clinical medicine. Edinburgh: W.B. Saunders, 2012. Print. Ser. 8.
2.Kumar, Vinay, Stanley Leonard Robbins, Ramzi S. Cotran, Abul K. Abbas, and Nelson Fausto. Robbins and Cotran pathologic basis of disease. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Elsevier Saunders, 2010. Print